The scariest type of cancer is probably Brain Cancer because it affects one of the most important parts of the human body. Brain Cancer starts with tumor growth that can either be malignant or benign. Brain cancers are rare but are very deadly.
The benign type of brain tumors can be further divided into:
- Chordomas starts out in the spine as embryonic cells;
- Osteomas starts in the skull; schwannomas that covers around cells in the nerves; pinealomas in the pineal gland;
- Pituitary adenomas in the pituitary gland;
- Menangiomas that starts in the membrane that covers brain; and
- Hemangioblastomas that starts in blood vessels.
- Gliomas are the most common malignant brain cells, and the most common Glioblastoma is Glioblastoma multiforme.
- Oligodendroglioma is also another form of glioma that is quite rare and is often seen in adults.
- Medullablastoma starts from the growth in the medulla at the brain’s base.
- And lastly, adenocarcinoma and sarcoma that are the most uncommon type of tumors in the brain.
- Brain cancer is caused by several factors but the main cause is yet to be known
- Brain cancer can metastasize and can destroy other parts of the brain, the lungs, breasts, skin, and in the blood.
- Exposure to chemical substances like vinyl chloride;
- Radiation exposure of the head
- Vision changes
- Problems in coordination
- Mood changes
- Problems in the memory.
- Headaches can also be a symptom of brain cancer but most headaches are often due to conditions that are less serious like migraines.
- Brain cancer can be diagnosed by a CT scan or computerized tomography scan and magnetic resonance imaging or MRI. These tests can detect brain tumor types and determine the size and its exact location.
- A biopsy can also be performed to establish if the tumor is cancerous. This is done when a piece of tumor is removed intra surgery.
- The stereotactic or three dimensional needle or biopsy can be used if the tumor is very deep in the brain.
- Drawing of cerebrospinal fluid is also used to draw out the brain tumor under a procedure called lumbar puncture.
- Radiation Therapy
- Chemotherapy just like any other treatments used for other types of cancer.
- Steroids can also be used at a time of radiation to decrease the swelling that is caused by the tumor.
- There is also this advanced procedure for treating brain cancer like lasers and ultrasound to remove the tumors.
- Gamma knife stereotactic radio surgery is also used with radiation beams that are focused to the tumor directly that can leave lesser cancerous cells and limit in damaging healthy tissues of the brain.
When a patient has finished their treatment, they can use herbal remedies that can help boost their stamina and immune systems. It can also help in reducing the growth of cancer cells as they have found to be effective by researchers and scientists.
- Nettle or Urtica dioica can be used in combination with green tea extract to prevent changes in the cell that may lead to cancer.
- Dandelion and Curcumin have also been found to prevent the progression of brain cancer cells.